Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Letter of Introduction to Elephant Researchers

I am the man the world became interested in because of my work. I made a promise 30 years ago to stay with 2 African elephants through thick and thin, no matter what. I kept that promise and stayed with them until they each took their last breaths. The elephants with whom I shared my life gave me a purpose. Timbo was a strong loner and demanded honor and respect. Kura was sensitive and shy. They both needed understanding and dedication. I am coming to Africa to try to understand them in a way I never could while they were in captivity. I am not the guy who took them from their home; I am just the guy who tried to give them a good life. When Cora died I felt her spirit leave. When Timbo died his spirit stayed with me. I am attempting to make sense of the relationship with my elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment